Midlothian Council wish to change your terms and conditions of employment. UNISON Midlothian branch have been in talks with management for 40 weeks and have got as far as we can by negotiation. UNISON believes our members should decide whether or not the proposed changes are acceptable.
In the next few days members will receive a ballot paper which will ask you to either accept or reject the councils proposals. The mail out will include a pre-paid return envelope.
The proposed changes to take us forward are:
1. Grades 1-4, there will be a basic pay increase to everyone please see enclosed chart;
2. Public Holidays – The employer is replacing 5 public holidays with 6 days of annual leave. The remaining public holidays would then be 2 days at Christmas and 2 days at New Year;
3. Additional non financial benefits – employee discount reward scheme for many of the high street stores including supermarkets and travel;
4. Improved discounts on Council sponsored activities i.e. Leisure Centres;
5. Part time employees – If you work regular overtime, you will be asked if you want to increase your hours on a permanent basis to make it part of your contract of employment;
6. Overtime premiums will be paid from the 41st hour onwards at time and a quarter. Standby will be increased from £80 to £140 per week or £20 per 24 hours;
7. Working during the day on Saturday’s and Sunday’s will be paid at plain time;
8. Night working will be paid at time and one fifth, between 10.00pm and 6.00am;
9. Three year pay protection to all who will lose money due to the proposed changes to Contractual Terms and Conditions;
10. Further commitment to address any employees who might remain in detriment will be ongoing over the next 3 years;
11. Midlothian Council will support Lifelong Learning with the trade unions in which we can encourage learning in order to help grow secure and positive destinations.
Branch Drop In Sessions:
The branch will be holding drop in sessions for any members who have questions about the Council proposed changes to terms and conditions of employment:
- Tuesday 14th June: 4pm – 6pm – 29 – 35, Jarnac Court, Dalkeith, EH22 1HU
- Thursday 16th June: 2pm – 4pm – 29 – 35, Jarnac Court, Dalkeith, EH22 1HU
Please feel free to come along and speak to the branch about any concerns you may have.
Download our flyer: UNISON Midlothian Ballot Flyer (Why not print and share with your colleagues? – We are stronger together in UNISON)